Brooches/Combos | Pendants/Necklaces  | Earrings | Archives
Roman Glass | Borosilicate Glass

This fragment of ancient glass dates back to the Roman Empire of almost 2000 years ago.

Moonstone, a birthstone for June, is a variety of feldspar that shows an almost magical play of light, called adularescence, as its characteristic feature. It owes its name to this mysterious gleaming which appears different whenever the stone changes position in movement. This effect is caused by a microscopic intergrowth of light-disturbing planes within the crystalline structure. Moonstone may be found in Sri Lanka, Madagascar and India.

Peridot/olivine, an August birthstone, is a mineral containing silica, magnesium, and iron. It is often found in lavas though rarely of gem quality. Mining of gem quality peridot occurs in several locales in the U.S. and around the world, including Arizona and Saudi Arabia.

Argentium® Sterling Silver is a patented and trademarked alloy that is at least 92.5% pure silver, just like regular sterling silver. What makes it different from regular sterling silver is that a small amount of germanium replaces some of the copper that makes up the other 7.5% of the standard sterling silver alloy. The addition of germanium to the sterling silver alloy virtually stops the formation of tarnish.

About Roman glass

See additional Roman glass jewelry featured in "Re-Viewing the Past" series.

"Chalice of the Roman Moon"

Argentium® sterling silver pendant/brooch with ancient Roman glass shard, peridot and green moonstone


Back to brooches

©Pam Chott